Quiz Questions 14 February 2023
#1. DNA Profiling is used in which of the following areas: 1) Criminal investigations 2) Parentage testing 3) Genealogical research 4) Study of animal and plant populations Select the correct answer code:
- DNA profiling (also called DNA fingerprinting) is the process of determining an individual’s DNA characteristics.
- DNA profiling is a forensic technique in criminal investigations, comparing criminal suspects’ profiles to DNA evidence so as to assess the likelihood of their involvement in the crime.
- It is also used in parentage testing, to establish immigration eligibility, and in genealogical and medical research.
- DNA profiling has also been used in the study of animal and plant populations in the fields of zoology, botany, and agriculture.
#2. Consider the following statements regarding NAG missile: 1) This missile is designed to deliver nuclear-payloads. 2) The system uses infrared seeker to lock on the target. Which of the above statements is/are correct:
- The NAG missile is a third-generation anti-tank guided missile, which has top attack capabilities that can effectively engage and destroy all known enemy tanks during day and night.
- It uses an imaging infrared seeker in lock-on-before-launch mode.
- It is launched from NAG missile carrier (NAMICA) which is capable of carrying up to 6 combat missiles.
- Range: Minimum-500 metres and Maximum- 4 kilometres. Developed by DRDO.
#3. Which of the following causes a fatal blood disease, sometimes noted in the wool industry:
- Anthrax causes a fatal blood disease called sorter’s disease.
- Aspergillus causes pulmonary and blood infections.
- The well-known Typhoid fever is caused by Salmonella typhi.
- Clostridium Botulinum toxin attacks the nervous system of the affected individual and causes trouble in respiration, swallowing, speaking, vision and causes overall physical weakness.
#4. In order to stay over the same location on the Earth, a geostationary satellite must be directly above the:
- Most of the communication satellites today are placed in a geostationary orbit.
- Geostationary satellites in orbits circle the Earth at the same rate as the Earth spins.
- The satellites are located near the equator since at this latitude there is a constant force of gravity from all directions.
- At other latitudes, the bulge at the centre of the Earth would pull the satellite down.
#5. What are ballistic missiles that you often hear in news:
- A ballistic missile is a missile (rocket) that follows a ballistic trajectory with the objective of delivering one or more warheads to a predetermined target.
- A ballistic missile is only guided during relatively brief periods of flight (there are unguided ballistic missiles as well, although these may well be considered rockets), and most of its trajectory is unpowered and governed by gravity and air resistance if in the atmosphere.
- This contrasts to a cruise missile, which is aerodynamically guided in powered flight.
- Long range intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM) are launched at a steep, sub-orbital flight trajectory and spend most of their flight out of the atmosphere. Shorter range ballistic missiles stay within the Earth’s atmosphere.
#6. Consider the following symptoms and the deficiency of the particular vitamin that is associated with the same: 1) Loss of vision in darkness - Vitamin D 2) Weak muscles and very little energy to work - Vitamin B1 3) Wounds take longer to heal - Vitamin C Select the correct answer code:
#7. Why are Bacteriophages seen as a possible therapy against multi-drug-resistant strains of many bacteria: 1) These are ubiquitous viruses found wherever bacteria exist and can kill bacteria. 2) They do not contain any RNA or DNA and thus cannot be infected by bacteria. Select the correct answer code:
- A bacteriophage is a type of virus that infects bacteria.
- In fact, the word “bacteriophage” literally means “bacteria eater,” because bacteriophages destroy their host cells.
- All bacteriophages are composed of a nucleic acid molecule that is surrounded by a protein structure.
- In other words, they are comprised of a protein capsule around an RNA or DNA genome.
#8. Ailments caused by Virus are: 1) Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) 2) Typhoid 3) Dysentery 4) Influenza Select the correct answer code:
- Common ailments like cold, influenza (flu) and most coughs are caused by viruses.
- SARS, polio and chicken pox are also caused by viruses.
#9. Consider the following statements regarding Asteroid Impact Deflection Assessment (AIDA): 1) It is a joint research mission between NASA and SpaceX. 2) It aims to study the viability of destroying an asteroid by crashing a spacecraft into its surface. Which of the above statements is/are correct:
- Asteroid Impact Deflection Assessment (AIDA) is a joint research mission between NASA and the European Space Agency (ESA) teams.
- It aims to study the viability of diverting an asteroid by crashing a spacecraft into its surface.
- The project aims to deflect the orbit of one of the two Didymos asteroids between Earth and Mars, with an observer craft gauging the effect of the impact more effectively than ground-based observers could manage.
#10. Which of the following are considered as main drivers of antimicrobial resistance: 1) Misuse and overuse of antimicrobials 2) Lack of access to clean water and hygiene for animals 3) Poor infection and disease prevention in health-care facilities Select the correct answer code:
- AMR occurs naturally over time, usually through genetic changes.
- Antimicrobial resistant organisms are found in people, animals, food, plants and the environment (in water, soil and air).
- They can spread from person to person or between people and animals, including from food of animal origin.
- The main drivers of antimicrobial resistance include the misuse and overuse of antimicrobials; lack of access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) for both humans and animals; poor infection and disease prevention and control in healthcare facilities and farms; poor access to quality, affordable medicines, vaccines and diagnostics; lack of awareness and knowledge; and lack of enforcement of legislation.
You Passed The Quiz!
You Failed The Quiz!
#IAS #UPSC #Stact_PSC #Prelims #Mains #Daily #Questions #Answers #MCQs #Explaination #GeoIAS
WEBSITE : https://geoias.com/
ONLINE TEST PORTAL : https://testportal.geoias.com/
ONLINE TEST PORTAL APP : http://surl.li/ewbua
*NOTE : Please update the app before using it.
MOBILE APP : http://surl.li/ewbth
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/geoiaskolkata
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/geoias
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/geo_ias
EMAIL ID : email@example.com
TELEGRAM : https://t.me/Geo_Ias
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/@geoiasupsc
FORONLINE/OFFLINE CLASSES : +91 9477560001, 9477560002