Quiz Questions 16 February 2023
#1. Supercomputing play an important role in which of the following fields: 1) Quantum mechanics 2) Weather forecasting 3) Oil and gas exploration 4) Genomics 5) Drug discovery Select the correct answer code:
- Supercomputers are used for a wide range of computationally intensive tasks in various fields, including quantum mechanics, weather forecasting, flood prediction, climate research, oil and gas exploration, genomics and drug discovery.
#2. Consider the following statements regarding Kala-azar: 1) Kala-azar is a tropical disease characterised by irregular fever, weight loss, anaemia and swelling of the spleen and liver. 2) It is caused by a protozoan Leishmania parasite and is transmitted to humans by the bite of infected female sandflies. 3) India has been successful in controlling the disease outbreak and accounts for about one-tenth of the total global cases. Which of the above statements is/are correct:
- Kala-azar or visceral leishmaniasis (VL) is a tropical disease characterised by irregular fever, weight loss, anaemia and swelling of the spleen and liver.
- It is caused by a protozoan Leishmania parasite and is transmitted to humans by the bite of infected female sandflies.
- According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), globally, about 7 to 10 lakh new cases occur annually.
- India accounts for about two-thirds of the total global cases, and the disease is endemic to Bihar, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal.
- An initiative was launched by WHO to eliminate VL as a public health problem from the South East Asia region by 2020.
- The deadline has now been extended to 2023.
#3. Consider the following statements regarding Devaluation of currency: 1) Devaluation decreases the prices of imports purchased in the home country. 2) Devaluation can be employed to eliminate balance-of-payments deficits. 3) Devaluation will not be effective if the balance-of-payments disequilibrium is a result of basic structural flaws in a country’s economy. Which of the above statements is/are correct:
- Devaluation, reduction in the exchange value of a country’s monetary unit in terms of gold, silver, or foreign monetary units.
- Devaluation is employed to eliminate persistent balance-of-payments deficits.
- For example, a devaluation of currency will decrease prices of the home country’s exports that are purchased in the import country’s currency.
- While making the exported goods cheaper for other countries, devaluation also increases the prices of imports purchased in the home country.
- Devaluation will not be effective if the balance of-payments disequilibrium is a result of basic structural flaws in a country’s economy.
#4. . The Internet is expanding everyday necessitating the development of new storage. Among the following, what is the correct ascending order of data size or data storage: 1) Terabyte 2) Exabyte 3) Petabyte 4) Zettabyte Select the correct answer code:
#5. . Consider the following statements regarding Guillain Barre Syndrome: 1) Guillain Barre Syndrome is a rare autoimmune disorder. 2) It is caused by bacteria or viral infection. 3) There are no reported cases of patients infected with Covid-19 showing the symptoms of Guillain Barre Syndrome. Which of the above statements is/are correct:
- In a rare complication, some patients infected with Covid-19 have been found suffering from Guillain Barre Syndrome (GBS).
- In India, such cases have been reported since August.
- What is Guillain Barre Syndrome?
- It is a very rare autoimmune disorder.
- The immune system, in an attempt to kill the coronavirus, accidentally starts attacking the peripheral nervous system.
- GBS is caused by bacteria or viral infection.
- In the past, patients of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome showed GBS symptoms, as did those infected with Zika, HIV, Herpes virus and Campylobacter jejuni.
#6. Earth-observation satellites are used for which of the following purposes: 1) Land and forest monitoring 2) Mapping of water and mineral resources 3) Weather and climate observations 4) Soil assessment Select the correct answer code:
- What are earth-observation satellites used for?
- Land and forest mapping and monitoring, mapping of resources like water or minerals or fishes, weather and climate observations, soil assessment, geospatial contour mapping are all done through earthobservation satellites.
- They are intended for non-military uses such as environmental monitoring, meteorology, cartography and others.
#7. Hayabusa 2 project, recently seen in news is related to:
- Japan’s Hayabusa2 spacecraft left the asteroid Ryugu a year ago and is expected to reach Earth and drop a capsule containing the precious samples in southern Australia on December 6.
- The soil samples and data from the asteroid could provide clues to the origins of the solar system.
- Hayabusa2 project:
- It is an asteroid sample-return mission operated by the Japanese space agency, JAXA.
#8. Which of the following statements best describes ‘Hard Currency’:
- HARD CURRENCY refers to money that is issued by a nation that is seen as politically and economically stable.
- HARD CURRENCIES are widely accepted around the world as a form of payment for goods and services and may be preferred over the domestic CURRENCY
#9. The three-drug Bedaquiline, Pretomanid and Linezolid (BPaL) regimen is used to treat:
- At a time when the world grapples with highly treatment-resistant tuberculosis, the recently approved three-drug regimen to tackle the condition has shown a 90 per cent favourable outcome, according to a new study.
#10. CIBER-2 mission, recently seen in news is related to:
- CIBER-2: The aim of this mission is to count the number of stars that exist in the Universe.
- While this is not the first time that such a mission has been undertaken, the CIBER-2 instrument has been improved upon to see if any stars had been undercounted in the previous counting attempts.
You Passed The Quiz!
You Failed The Quiz!
#IAS #UPSC #Stact_PSC #Prelims #Mains #Daily #Questions #Answers #MCQs #Explaination #GeoIAS
WEBSITE : https://geoias.com/
ONLINE TEST PORTAL : https://testportal.geoias.com/
ONLINE TEST PORTAL APP : http://surl.li/ewbua
*NOTE : Please update the app before using it.
MOBILE APP : http://surl.li/ewbth
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/geoiaskolkata
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/geoias
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/geo_ias
EMAIL ID : firstname.lastname@example.org
TELEGRAM : https://t.me/Geo_Ias
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/@geoiasupsc
FORONLINE/OFFLINE CLASSES : +91 9477560001, 9477560002